Skip to main content
Settlement Workers in Schools
 Helping Families Help Themselves

web backpack.JPGSettlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) provide settlement support to our immigrant students and families who are new to the community, to ease their integration. We guide our families and provide them with skills independently navigate through the resources and services available to them in the Central Okanagan.

Services provided by our Settlement Workers include: 
  • Providing initial welcome and orientation for English Language Learner families new to our school district and community
  • Settlement counselling
  • Facilitating workshops to enhance families' understanding of Canadian culture
  • Referring and linking families to appropriate school and community programs, services, and resources
​ When to contact your Settlement Worker in Schools?
​Services provided by Settlement Workers in Schools are:
  • Systematic outreach to all newly-arrived families
  • Obtaining lists and reaching out to newly-arrived families
  • Settlement counselling for student, parent, or families
  • Provide information and orientation sessions
  • Referral and service linking to appropriate school/community programs, workshops, or support groups relating to settlement
  • Organizing and conducting workshop and group activities on settlement related issues
  • Translating and interpreting in settlement context only

Contact Settlement Workers in Schools when information relating to OUTSIDE the school is required. For example, our Settlement Workers in Schools:
  • Assist with registration of English Language Learner students into schools
  • Provide information about English language programs and assist with accessing programs
  • Provide information about MSP and assist with applications
  • Assist with accessing no/low-cost medical/dental clinics and provide information re: eligibility of services for families
  • Assist with low-cost housing and provide information about eligibility, rental agreements, etc.
  • Provide information about landlord/tenant rights
  • Assist with resume writing and obtaining references
  • Assist with obtaining volunteer and/or paid positions
  • Explain how to take public transit, purchase transit tickets and passes, and obtain transit maps.
  • Explain where and how to obtain a driver’s license and assist with forms
  • Provide information about income assistance
  • Assist with setting-up bank accounts and other banking services
  •  Assist with applying for Permanent Resident Cards


​Goverment of Canada.jpg